Sunday, April 14, 2013

Struggling with social work reality



Continually learning and maintaining a sense of cultural competency is crucial in culturally grounded social work, as I have been learning throughout my coursework in this graduate program.  Being aware of my own emotions and feelings and how they can be triggered by certain comments, situations, or actions is also important in determining how I interact with my environment.  Identifying what triggers my emotions, thoughts, and feelings will help to understand how I will act/react in any circumstance.   
One specific trigger that has impacted the way I interact with my clients and colleagues is the use of racial microaggressions.  In the past few months, the use of microaggressions in social work practice has become increasingly evident to me.   I find these microaggressions to be backhanded compliments which contribute to internalized oppression and continued stereotypes. Coming into this program, I expected a certain level of respect and cultural competency from my colleagues and peers, but this has not always been the case.  I have found that using these racial microaggressions is a way to display racism and is influencing the clients that get services.   I have also found that the language I use does not always take into account the feelings and emotions of others and how my words may trigger a reaction in another person.  I am beginning to understand the importance of monitoring the use of language in order to create an empowering environment for myself and my colleagues.  I am also speaking out when I hear something that is offensive.  I am also acknowledging that learning how to use language appropriately is a lifelong learning process and I am only at the beginning of my journey. 
When I hear someone using a microaggression, I become stressed out, angry, disappointed, and annoyed.  When I have encountered this situation, I have become angry with the person for being so offensive.  I have a hard time understanding why individuals choose to use the language they do, knowing that their words are not empathetic and they are contributing to continual systems of oppression.  I then become annoyed and disappointed with the person and stop listening and placing any value in what they have to say.  Overall, the whole situation stresses me out and makes me frustrated. 
I think I react in an unhealthy way because I set my expectations for every person the same and don’t always take into consideration their environment and upbringing, which influences the way they interact with the world.  My own experiences influence my interactions with people and sometimes when triggered, it is easy for me to forget that each person carries their own personal experiences and biases. 
These reactions certainly get in the way of how I interact with my clients and colleagues.  It is not healthy or realistic to shut down and ignore a person because I do not agree with what they are saying all the time.  Becoming annoyed and discouraged will destroy the healing environment that I seek to maintain in my practice setting.  I know these incidents are opportunities to learn and grow and I should not let my emotions cloud my thinking to the point where I shut down. 
I first need to manage my thoughts and emotions by acknowledging them.  Understanding what triggered an emotion or feeling in order to change my thought process and not get offended.  Becoming offended is just a defense mechanism and is not an adaptive way to handle a trigger.  Being mindful of the situation and taking into consideration my place of privilege and how that impacts the way I view the world will help me to lessen the effects of reactions to any trigger.  I also need to acknowledge that being sensitive is okay, but managing those emotions is critical.  If I put these changes into practice, I can excel in social work.

No comments:

Post a Comment